Prep 4 mins
Cook 0 mins
Although there are several recipes for Cajun flavored popcorn posted, this fiery blend has a unique combination of spices. Use this on your favorite popcorn popped in a microwave, on the stove or using popcorn popper. You will need a little moisture to get the spices to adhere, the choice (butter, margarine or a low calorie butter substitute) is yours. Store the spice in a air-tight container as you would other spice blends.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt (optional)
- Chef's Note: The amount of cayenne is a matter of taste but also the heat level of your paprika. If you are in the slightest bit timid, start with 1/2 teaspoon, blend and add more if desired.
- Mix all spices together in spice grinder or mini processor. Pulse quickly to mix spices and to break up the leaves of the herbs.
- Sprinkle on popcorn to taste. Hot stuff!
This was delicious! I found it was too salty with the full 1/2 tbsp. of salt. Next time I'll leave the salt out of the mix altogether and add it to the popcorn separately to taste. I used a little under 1 tbsp. of spice for 1 cup of unpopped corn kernels.
I've always made popcorn with paprika,garlic and onion powder, so the dried herbs were new for me.Just like you said:"Hot Stuff!"
Yummy! Yummy! Just me for dinner tonight and thought I'd just have popcorn but wanted to spice it up. This was perfect! Loved all the spices and it woke up the mouth. Thanks. Made for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game 2010.