Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
Base of this meatloaf comes from Paul Prudhomme with a tiny bit of modification. I added the sweet and sour sauce that is often used for meatloaf and the result is wonderful. It is very important to mix the meat mixture well. This is my favorite meatloaf.
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- green onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce or 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄2 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients and set aside.
- Melt the butter or olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning mix.
- Saute the mixture using medium to medium high heat until it starts sticking, about 6-8 minutes. Scrape occasionally and let the mixture brown lightly.
- Add the evaporated milk and ketchup. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally and remove the bay leaves. Let the mixture to cool to room temperature for easy handling.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled vegetable mixture with ground beef, eggs, and bread crumbs. Mix well for 8 minutes using circular movement.
- Place the meatloaf mixture on an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 3 1/2 - 4 inches high and 5 inches wide.
- Combine the sauce ingredients. Spread the half of sauce all over on the meatloaf and bake for 25 minutes.
- Raised the heat to 400 degrees F. Spread the remaining sauce on the meatloaf and continue to bake for another 35 to 40 minutes.
- After coming out of the oven, let the meatloaf rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.