Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Best if on a cast iron skillet, OUTSIDE on a high flame. Inside, use a fan to deal with the smoke or turn off your smoke alarms. This crispy crust is seared on by the hot pan. Baltimore Sun
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup ground cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Mix seasonings together and store in air tight container.
- To crust a fish or meat, chill the meat in frig;
- pat it dry;
- dredge in melted butter;
- then dredge in the seasoning. (Some meals also benefit at this point by resting for 10 minutes before frying.).
- Place it on the pan at the hottest temperature you can safely handle.
- It makes surface contact for only minutes, so don't walk away, and persevere through the smoke.
- If the fish/meat is thick, have a hot oven prepped to ensure the meal is cooked through, blackened on the outside and not simply burned.