Prep 10 mins
Cook 58 mins
This recipe comes from a vegetarian friend; I personalized it. I like it because it has so much flavor for a low-fat food.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in 2 quart Dutch oven.
- Simmer over medium high heat for 1 hour.
- Add cheese before serving.
I made this vegetarian by using a chicken flavoured vegetable broth. Needs a few more herbs and spices but still a very reasonable recipe that is cheap and easy.