Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A hot and spicy Caesar Salad for those who love variety in life!
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cleaned of coarse outer leaves, torn by hand into bite size pieces, and carefully washed and dried
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 lime, juice of, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated monterey jack cheese
- 4 flour tortillas, grilled and sliced
- In a wooden bowl combine the sliced avocado and lime juice and mash the avocado with the back of a spoon. Add the garlic, mustard, vinegar, jalapeno and salt and combine the mixture
- until creamy. Add half the olive oil and stir to incorporate.
- Add the Romaine lettuce leaves and coat them completely. Add the remaining olive oil by pouring in a very patient, slow, steady stream to produce a smooth, creaminess to the salad. Add the anchovies by mixing in evenly the chopped bits. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add the jack cheese and the grilled tortilla slices and toss the salad again to coat the greens evenly.
This was delicious! A great and versatile salad. The dressing was very easy although I did need to use a magic bullet to puree since my avocado was a little under-ripe and hard to mash :( The flavor was very unique and yummy though, even with me leaving out the anchovies. I added some black beans to give the salad a little more substance. Made for Pick a Chef.