Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 1⁄3 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄3 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves (2 cloves, minced and 2 cloves cracked from skins and reserved)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium yellow onion (1/4 finely chopped, 3/4 thinly sliced)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 hot cherry peppers, chopped (plus a splash of the pickling juice)
- 4 slices provolone cheese, deli sliced
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (12 ounce) bagprewashed mixed baby greens
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Preheat a large skillet or grill pan over med-high heat.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a bowl; add to it the chicken, Worcestershire sauce, chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, chopped onions, parsley, basil, Parmigiano (a generous palmful), salt, and pepper.
- Combine mixture; for into 4 large patties; place patties on hot skillet; cook 6 minutes, then flip burgers and cook 5 minutes on the other side.
- Heat a second skillet over med-high heat; add 1 tablespoon olive oil; add in the mushroom caps, sliced onions and cubanelle peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn the heat off; add in the hot cherry peppers and a splash of their juice.
- Place the provolone over the burgers and turn off the heat in the pan; tent the pan with foil to melt the cheese and carry-over heat.
- Preheat broiler to high; toast the crusty rolls until golden; melt the butter with the remaining cracked garlic in the microwave or over low heat in a small pan; brush the garlic butter on the rolls.
- Place the cheese-covered patties on the bottoms of the buns; top with the peppers and onions; replace the top halves of the buns.
- Toss the greens with the thyme, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Serve the greens alongside the cacciatore burgers.