1/1 Photo of Cabernet Jus for Roast
1 hr 10 mins
This special sauce is adapted from one used in a Bon Appétit recipe for Prime Rib With Cabernet Jus - it goes well with roasts of beef, buffalo, and pork. Delicious! A wonderful addition to holiday or special Sunday roast dinners. You can also use this for beef dip sandwiches - see note in the directions.
My Private Note
cups ju ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (750 ml) bottle cabernet sauvignon wine
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups broth
- 1 cup ruby port
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and slightly crushed
- 1 large shallot, peeled, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4-1/3 cup de-fatted roast dripping, to taste (depending on strength of drippings)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In a large non-aluminum saucepan or pot, combine the cabernet, stock, port, garlic, shallot, bay leaf, and dried thyme.
- 2Simmer until mixture reduces to approximately 1 1/2 cups, about 1 hour.
- 3(You should be cooking your roast during this time, too.).
- 4Add the de-fatted roast drippings (get some tasty browned bits mixed in there, too) and chicken broth to the reduction, season to taste with salt and pepper, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 5Pour the jus through a sieve into a sauceboat, pressing down on the solids.
- 6Serve on the side with your roast.
- 7Note: the cabernet reduction without the drippings and chicken broth can be prepared 2 days ahead, which gives the flavors time to meld nicely; cool, cover and refrigerate.
- 8To use as au jus for beef dip sandwiches: thin it to taste with water or unsalted chicken broth - start with about 1/4 cup and add more to taste.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabernet Jus for Roast
Serving Size: 1 (1720 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.5
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 941.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: