Recipe by pink cook
A different idea of making lasagna with cabbage instead of noodles, and using some of the ingredients in my fridge to participate in the Dining on a Dollar Contest - Spring 2013. Hope you enjoy it.
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup (I use Heinz)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained (or use ground turkey)
- 1⁄2 lb Italian turkey sausage, crumbled and browned
- 4 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese (or use 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, ketchup and sugar. Mix well to dissolve sugar and set aside.
- In a large skillet with oil spray, brown ground beef and remove. In the same skillet brown Italian sausage crumbled until brown.
- Mix browned sausage with the browned ground beef and add chopped onion, carrot, green bell pepper, garlic powder, oregano, (celery seeds), salt and pepper.
- Simmer the meat sauce for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked but crispy tender.
- Then add the prepared tomato sauce to the cooked meats and vegetables and mix well.
- Combine the cottage cheese (or Ricotta cheese) with the beaten egg and set aside.
- Spoon some of the meat sauce into bottom of crock pot (or slow cooker).
- Layer in this order: sliced cabbage, meat sauce, cottage cheese (or Ricotta).
- Repeat layers until all is used up, ending with mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover and cook on Low heat setting for about 1 hour, or until cabbage is soft, but do not overcooked.
- NOTE: This cabbage lasagna can also be cook on the stovetop in a Dutch oven, or bake in the oven at 350ºF. for about 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender, but not overcooked.