Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
After I found out how nice carrots were in milk,(Carrots in Milk) I tried with some other vegetables. Turned out better then I would have though!
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded (red or green)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, fresh (or orange zest)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh
- Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cabbage and zest to milk. Cook about 5 minutes, depending on how firm you like it.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter, salt and pepper.
- * The type of pepper you use is for your choice. I have tried, fresh black pepper and chili pepper. Didn't care for the chili one.
We had leftover uncooked cabbage from St.Patty's day and my husband mentioned that his mom used to cook cabbage in milk, which he loved. This recipe helped me out. We truly enjoyed our cabbage cooked this way. Instead of shredding the cabbage, I cut it into pieces about 1 inch square and added a a few carrots (sliced). The carrots added a little color. Thank you!
Thank you for sharing this recipe. We ate this growing up (minus the lemon zest) and it was a great way of eating cabbage. I almost forgot about it so thanks for reminding me. Cabbage will go on my grocery list this week!! We also ate corn this way!
One of the easiest, fastest & most delicious ways of preparing cabbage. poor cabbage...it really doesn't take much to make it a lovely vegetable! Made for Something Old, Something New menu event over in the Safari Supper Club forum 3/09. :)