Recipe by TansGram
Great cabbage recipe.
Top Review by Kari936
Pretty good:) I didn't shred my cabbage fine enough. I just chopped it. I liked how the casserole appeared with the copped cabbage I wish I had cooked it longer. Some pieces were kinda chewy. This casserole taste exactly like the white sauce that you use, so make sure to use one in which you like the flavor. I doubled BÃ©chamel - Basic White Sauce Bechamel - Basic White Sauce to make the 3 cups needed for this casserole. In this recipe I also used a cup of colby/jack cheese and a cup of cheddar. You could barely taste the cheese, I think next time I'll use all sharp cheddar. This would make a nice dish to take to potluck. I'm looking forward to seeing how it freezes. I've frozen similar recipes that come out well. Thanks for the recipe
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups white sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttered bread crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred cabbage.
- Cook 5-8 minutes in salted water. Keep the cabbage crisp.
- Mix butter with bread crumbs and set aside.
- Drain cabbage.
- Layer half the cabbage in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Cover with half the white sauce and half the cheese.
- Repeat layer.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 300°.