Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my DH and 9 year old DD favorite pie. There are other butterscotch pies posted, but none the same as this. This is not quite as sweet as most. Prep time does not include the time to make the crust.
- 1 pie crust, baked
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Bake pie crust as directed.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Mix flour and salt together in a small bowl.
- Add 2/3 cup milk and beat until smooth.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat: add brown sugar and cook until thick and fluffy.
- Add 1 1/2 cups milk all at once.
- Cook over medium heat until butterscotch dissolves.
- Stir a small amount into flour mixture.
- Add to cooked mixture in pot.
- Cook over medium heat until thick.
- Cook additional 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into beaten egg yolks.
- Add eggs to mixture in pot and cook stirring for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into baked, cooled shell.
- Prepare meringue and spread on filling.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
- MERINGUE: Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Gradually add sugar, while beating.
- Pile gently onto pie filling.
This set up quite easily without too much work.I was expecting more of a butterscotch pudding taste and texture but it wasn't quite what I wanted.I used Walnut Pie Crust from Butterscotch Cream Pie With a Walnut Crust.
This. Recipe. ROCKS! The instructions were clear and easy to follow (even for someone who's never made a meringue anything before) and the pie couldn't've turned out better. I'm delighted and pleased and proud. Only suggestion would be to mention the cool-time: took ours about 2 hours to cool enough that we could cut into it and still eat it warm. Thanks for the excellent recipe!!!
This recipe is the same as the one my mom uses from the Five Roses Flour cookbook and it is the BEST! It has always been our favourite pie but somehow it never tastes quite the same as my mom's. She is arriving with one for Thanksgiving supper tonite! Yummo. You must try this recipe. Lisa