1/1 Photo of Butternut Squash Tortellini With a Brown Butter Sage Sauce and A
2 hrs 40 mins
I had this at the Wolfgang Pucks Restaurant in Las Vegas and it was the best pasta I have ever eaten. I pieced this recipe together from different recipes. The Wine glaze is not needed but a yummy addition. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash, approximately 2 pounds, cubed (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large shallots, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 small amaretti cookies, crushed (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- wonton wrapper (1 package small)
Brown Butter Sauce
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Port Wine Glaze
- 1To make the tortellini, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. On a foil-lined baking sheet toss together the butternut squash, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, herbs de Provence, salt, and pepper. Bake in the oven until soft and golden, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Cook the shallots and garlic until lightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- 2In a food processor, combine the butternut squash mixture, the shallot mixture, and the ricotta cheese and pulse a few times to blend. Add the crushed amaretti cookies, the nutmeg, and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pulse until smooth. The tortellini filling can be made one day ahead.
- 3To make the tortellini, lay out 6 wonton skins, keeping the remaining skins inside the package or under a very lightly dampened paper towel. Place 1 tablespoon of squash mixture in the middle of each skin. Dip a pastry brush in a little water and wet the edges of the skin. Gently fold the square wrapper into a triangle, making sure the edges are securely closed and there are no air pockets inside. Dampen the two bottom corners of the longest side of the triangle and gently bring them together, pressing lightly to secure. Place the formed tortellini on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Before laying out another 6 wonton sheets, be careful to dry the work surface. This will help keep tortellini from sticking to the baking sheet. Continue until all the butternut squash mixture is used. There should be approximately 36 tortellini. (The tortellini can be formed, frozen on the baking sheet, transferred to a tightly sealed plastic bag or container and stored for up to six months. To cook, simply toss the frozen ravioli into the salted boiling water and cook for 4 minutes.).
- 4To make Port Wine Glaze, place all ingredients except butter in a small pot over medium-high heat and reduce to half about 3 ounces, whisk in butter and strain into a gravy boat or something similar.
- 5To make the sauce and serve, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 6Add the sage, pinenuts and let cook until the butter starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and season with salt, and pepper.
- 7Stir to combine. Then, gently place the tortellini in the boiling water and gently stir. When they begin to float they are done, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, gently spoon the tortellini onto a serving platter, Top with the brown butter sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Wine glaze.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Tortellini With a Brown Butter Sage Sauce and A
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 960.3
- Calories from Fat 667
- Total Fat 74.1 g
- Saturated Fat 33.3 g
- Cholesterol 162.1 mg
- Sodium 806.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence
fresh sage leaves