Abby Girl's Note:
This soup is visually spectacular!!! I found this recipe on Plant Food Fabulous. The creme fraiche inparts a wonderful, silky taste and the brown butter drizzle takes the soup to a higher level. I usually tinker with a recipe, but in this case, made it as stated! It was perfection!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, small and chopped
- 2-3 shallots, chopped
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 473.18 ml water
- 9.85 ml salt (to taste)
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml creme fraiche
Brown Butter Drizzle
- 1Peel and core the apple; cut into rough chunks. Peel squash and cube. Note: For convenience, Costco sells packaged pre-cut butternut squash which is acceptable in this recipe.
- 2Heat the butter and oil in a Dutch oven. Saute the onions and shallots until translucent, about 6 minutes. Leeks could be used as a substitute.
- 3Add the apple, squash, vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- 4Puree the soup in a blender, in batches. Put the soup back in the Dutch oven and season with salt and pepper, then stir in the creme fraiche.
- 5To make the brown butter drizzle, melt butter on medium low heat. When the butter is melted, add the sage leaves and cook for about 10 minutes until the butter becomes a golden brown. Remove to a bowl or cup. Watch the butter carefully as it can go from a yellow to a brown very quickly. The sage ends up nice a crispy and is wonderful as a garnish.
- 6The soup can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- 7To serve: Gently heat the soup. Garnish with sage leaves and the sage butter drizzle. I garnished it further with some creme fraiche.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup With Sage Brown Butter Drizzle
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.4
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 39.0 mg
- Sodium 875.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: