1/1 Photo of Butternut Squash Soup With Red Onion-Apple Topping
1 hr 30 mins
I have tried so many recipes for squash soup. I finally tweaked enough recipes together to make this; the best soup ever!! I add milk to make it creamy but if you want to make it vegan omit it, it is still good without it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs butternut squash, cubed (about 1 1/2 inch cubes)
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (same size as the squash)
- 1 medium yellow onion (Chopped large same as squash and carrot)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 stalk celery, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F Toss squash, yellow onion, and carrots with 2TBSP oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until tender and slightly caramelized.
- 2Place celery(or seed), garlic, and herbs in a pot with 2 cups water; stew over medium-low heat to create stock, about 20 minutes.
- 3Add squash mixture to pot and use a stick blender to puree. If you do not have a stick blender you can throw it in a blender.
- 4Then, add can of coconut milk and puree. Give it a taste; if needed (or wanted), add milk and adjust salt and pepper.
- 5Leave it on the stove for a little longer (15 min) and allow it to simmer while making the toppping.
- 6Topping: Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, when it is cooked about half way add the apples; cook until the apples and onions are caramelized.
- 7To serve: pour into bowls and top with Apple-Onion Topping. This reheats really well. I store the topping separate. Sometimes it thickens a bit after refrigerating; if you want it looser just add some more water or milk.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup With Red Onion-Apple Topping
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.6
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 168.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 44.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g