Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have tried so many recipes for squash soup. I finally tweaked enough recipes together to make this; the best soup ever!! I add milk to make it creamy but if you want to make it vegan omit it, it is still good without it.
- 2 lbs butternut squash, cubed (about 1 1/2 inch cubes)
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (same size as the squash)
- 1 medium yellow onion (Chopped large same as squash and carrot)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 stalk celery, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 apple, peeled and cubed (any that can be used for baking)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F Toss squash, yellow onion, and carrots with 2TBSP oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Place celery(or seed), garlic, and herbs in a pot with 2 cups water; stew over medium-low heat to create stock, about 20 minutes.
- Add squash mixture to pot and use a stick blender to puree. If you do not have a stick blender you can throw it in a blender.
- Then, add can of coconut milk and puree. Give it a taste; if needed (or wanted), add milk and adjust salt and pepper.
- Leave it on the stove for a little longer (15 min) and allow it to simmer while making the toppping.
- Topping: Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, when it is cooked about half way add the apples; cook until the apples and onions are caramelized.
- To serve: pour into bowls and top with Apple-Onion Topping. This reheats really well. I store the topping separate. Sometimes it thickens a bit after refrigerating; if you want it looser just add some more water or milk.