Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Wow your guests with an easy-to-create appetizer this holiday season that will leave them wanting more. Butternut Squash Soup with Pears and Bacon
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (1L)
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash, cubes (1L)
- 3 large california bartlett pears, peeled cored and cubed
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery (175 mL)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence (5 mL)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (250 mL)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh thyme
- Sauté bacon in a large stockpot until crisp; remove from pan, drain on paper towels and crumble. Remove all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) bacon grease from pot; add onion and sauté over medium heat until browned.
- Add broth, squash, pears and celery to pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then with an immersion blender or in a blender or food processor, purée mixture until smooth. Return back to pot and add herbs and bacon. Simmer for 10 minutes more. Stir in half-and-half and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped fresh thyme.