Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was really sceptical at first especially since I don’t like beer. This turned out to be a really creamy soup.
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 2⁄3 cups butternut squash, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup beer
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- watercress (optional)
- Heat butter in a medium size sauce pan over medium heat and add the finely chopped shallots.
- Saute until soft not brown.
- Add the squash cubes and sauté 1 or 2 minutes and add the vinegar.
- Add the beef broth and let this cook until the squash is soft about 15 minutes.
- Pour this into a blend and puree or use a stick blender.
- Season the soup with salt, pepper and sugar to your taste.
- Return to the pot if you used a blender and stir in the beer.
- Whip the cream and fold into the soup.
- Sprinkle with water cress and serve immediately.
I loved this soup. I didn't like it just after I added the beer, but I let it cook for about 15 minutes after adding the beer and I think it cooked of the alcohol and I liked the taste better. It was still only 4 stars at that point, but the whipping cream pushed it over. This is so different from my usual recipe, I'm definitely going to have to try it again. The vinegar was also a bit strong until I added the cream.