Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My daughter shared this recipe with me after I heard how much her family had enjoyed it. I love soups in the winter and am always on the look out for another yummy recipe. DD used veggie broth to make soup vegetarian and 6 yr old DGD stated it was the best soup she ever had!
- 2 tablespoons butter (may sub margarine or olive oil)
- 1 small onion, peeled & diced coarsely
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 quart chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cook onion, celery carrot, potatoes and squash in butter for 5 minutes or til veggies are browned.
- Add enough stock to cover veggies, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer til veggies are tender, appx 40 minutes.
- Puree veggies and cooking broth with stick blender (OR remove to blender to puree and return to cooking pot).
- Add remaining stock to make soup the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.