Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A little labor intensive...but worth the trouble!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 439.41 g can chicken broth
- 14.79 ml butter
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh sage
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, approx 3/4 cup chopped
- 473.18 ml arborio rice
- 78.07 ml white wine
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese
- Cut enough squash into cubes to make 3 cups. Coarsely shred enough remaining squash to equal 2 cups; set aside.
- In a 2 qt saucepan heat broth and 4 cups of water to maintain a simmer and cover. In a 5 qt dutch oven melt butter. Add squash chunks, pepper 2 tbls sage and salt. Cook covered stirring occasionally until squash is tender. Remove squash to a bowl.
- In same dutch oven add olive oil, shredded squash and onion cook stirring often until veggies are tender. Add rice and cook stirring frequently (2 minutes) add wine and simmering broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender but firm (approx 25 minutes) stir in diced squash, parmesan cheese and remaining sage. Heat through.
One of the best risotto dishes I've tried! I used vegetable stock instead of the chicken broth. I also pan fried a few of the leftover sage leaves in butter and used these as a tasty edible garnish to place on top of each serving. I also added 1/3 cup of the parmesan cheese to the risotto and reserved the remaining cheese to sprinkle on top. Brilliant recipe. Thanks for sharing.
I cut the work down by using pureed pumpkin in place of the butternut. This took 40 minutes to cook. I added diced carrots 1/2 way through cooking for texture. The cheese was very overpowering I`d advise to use 1/2 and add to taste.