Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This creamy pumpkin risotto makes a glorious light supper.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 3 1⁄2 ounces butter, softened
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 10 1⁄2 ounces risotto rice
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, finely grated
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- toasted pumpkin seeds, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Cut the squash into quarters and remove the seeds.
- Dice the flesh into 1in cubes and toss with rosemary and olive oil.
- Place in a roasting tin and roast for 20 minutes or so, until soft and slightly caramelised.
- Heat the chicken stock and keep warm.
- Melt half of the butter in a large frying pan over a low heat and fry the onion and celery for 15-20 minutes, until very soft.
- Remove the pan briefly from the heat, add the garlic and rice and stir until the grains are coated with butter.
- Return the pan to a high heat - add 2 ladlefuls of stock and simmer until the rice has absorbed it all, stirring all the time.
- Add the roasted squash to the rice and simmer until it softens and breaks up into the risotto.
- Repeat the process of adding the stock, 2 ladles at a time, until the rice has absorbed nearly all the liquid - this should take about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining butter and Parmesan cheese. Stir and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and serve.