Recipe by Hungry in Michigan
So sweet and delicious... it's really a casserole, but I call it dessert!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (or3-6 T honey)
- 2 eggs
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk (or 1/3 C milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups squash
- 1⁄2 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 pecans (chopped)
- mix with beaters, pour into greased 9x11 pan.
- Bake in preheated 350* oven on the middle rack for 35-40 mins.until the center is set (test with a toothpick).
- While this is baking, mix the topping below.
- Remove from oven and top with: 1/2 C crispy rice cereal, 1/4 C packed brown sugar, 1/4 chopped pecans. Mix these together, sprinkle over top, then pour 2T melted butter over top.
- Return to oven for 5 mins or until bubbly.
- This is a thin mixture and cooks quickly.
- You could bake it in a slightly smaller pan, just keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- You can cook the squash whole in the microwave to get it to the mashing consistency. Just stab it a couple of times so it won't explode and put it on a plate to microwave. Check it every 5 minutes for doneness - good idea to roll it. Gets very hot!
- If you have left over squash, I mash it all and measure the left overs and freeze. Then I can take out a 1 cup or 2 cup bag to make a batch when I'm in a hurry. A 1 cup batch (1/2 recipe) is a good size for two people. If you double the recipe, DON'T double the topping!