Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my favorite cakes...so moist, and has such a wonderful flavor...the brown sugar frosting just makes it that much more delicious. This is a winning cake recipe.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups pureed winter squash
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup heavy 35% cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups icing sugar
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10" tube pan.
- FOR CAKE: Sift all dry ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar; beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the pureed squash; mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan for 45 minutes, remove to rack to finish cooling.
- FOR FROSTING: Bring brown sugar, butter and cream to a boil.
- Cook, stirring 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl; let cool to lukewarm.
- Beat in icing sugar until of spreading consistancy.
The cake was delicious. Reminded my DH of a spice cake but better. Everyone loved the icing, it really compliments the cake. I will be making this cake many times. Thank You!