Recipe by knobbyknee
This originally was an all purpose flour recipe that we tried to make healthier. We also substitute the sugar with Splenda. You can put a couple tablespoons of melted butter in the recipe, but I leave it out. My family loves them. My 4 year old makes them with me. He measures and tastes all ingredients. This recipe has been cut in half from the original to fit our family, so double if needed.
Top Review by Pattyduff
I've been trying a lot of whole wheat pancake recipes lately and all have been good, but these are exceptional. They were delicious, fluffy and easy. I used Splenda, added about 1-1/2 tablespoons of Canola oil and had a few fresh blueberries which I dropped in as they started to cook. I believe this will be my #1 pancake recipe from now on. I can't wait to find out if they freeze well.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk (make your own by using 1 Tablespoon lemon juice for each cup of milk-let stand 5 minutes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the 1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice in a measuring cup and fill with milk to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Combine all dry ingredients and whisk together to remove any lumps and to combine everything.
- Lightly beat the egg, then add to dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Some lumps are fine, careful to not over mix.
- Cook on hot griddle (but first melt a touch of butter to insure it not sticking).
- Serve hot.