Recipe by SilverOpera
This is the best oven fried chicken I've ever made, hands down. The buttermilk marinade makes for deliciously juicy chicken and the panko comes out crispy every time. Prep time doesn't include marinating time.
Top Review by pkoepsel
Crisp,moist, delicious!!! I was extremely pleased with this recipe and my husband loved it and asked me to make it again. "A Keeper." I changed things up a bit, but not significantly. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I didn't have buttermilk so I used regular milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice. I also seasoned the panko crumbs with more garlic, pepper, and all seasoning with salt. Used parchment paper instead of foil, sprayed it lightly with Pam. Helped chicken to become crisp and goldenon the bottom and did not stick. Needed to cook longer, 40 to 45 minutes as the breasts were thicker. There was absolutely no sticking, and it browned and crisped nicely on the bottom. In fact, the bottoms were more golden and crisper than the tops, so after 20 minutes I turned them over so they would brown. I will definitely make this again. Try the parchment paper and you'll be delighted with both the consistency, and the taste. No sticking, no loss of breading, crispy, golden brown, moist and delicious
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (less if ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning (with salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate chicken in buttermilk, thyme, cayenne, and garlic powder for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the panko crumbs with the all-purpose seasoning. Panko bread crumbs really make this chicken, so don't substitute if possible.
- Without rinsing the chicken, dredge in beaten egg, then bread crumb mixture.
- Place breaded chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Spray chicken with a little non-stick spray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until coating is crispy and juices run clear.