1/2 Photos of Buttermilk Fried Chicken With Gravy
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from Taste of Home, and it's a delicious fried chicken recipe. Prep time excludes refrigeration time. Complete and utter comfort food...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1133.98-1360.77 g broiler-fryer chickens
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- cooking oil (for frying)
- 1Place chicken in a large flat dish.
- 2Pour buttermilk over chicken and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a double-strength paper bag.
- 4Drain chicken and toss pieces one at a time in the flour mixture.
- 5Shake off excess and place on waxed paper for 15 minutes.
- 6Heat 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil in a skillet.
- 7Fry chicken until browned on all sides.
- 8Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, for 40 to 45 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- 9Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer.
- 10Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 11Drain all about 1/4 cup drippings and stir in flour until bubbly.
- 12Add milk and 1 1/2 cups water.
- 13Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- 14Cook 1 minute more.
- 15Add remaining water if needed.
- 16Season with salt and pepper.
- 17Serve with chicken.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Fried Chicken With Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 808.5
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 45.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 223.8 mg
- Sodium 1168.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 60.6 g