Recipe by Impera_Magna
An excellent old-fashioned cake doughnut! Have no recollection of where I got the recipe but I've had it for thirty years.
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat till smooth.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to buttermilk mixture, stirring well.
- Chill for one or more hours.
- Turn onto floured surface and roll out to 3/8" think; cut w/ floured cutter.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees and fry doughnuts until golden brown (approx 1 min on each side).
- Drain well on paper towels.
- If desired, toss in bag w/ powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, or ice w/ chocolate frosting.