Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe takes 10 minutes to prepare and is baked within 30 minutes. Easy & good. I found this in a newsletter from Meals for You.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (necessary)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (chilled into small pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Butter bottom and sides of 10" cast iron skillet or a 9x9" baking dish.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a food processor.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Beat buttermilk, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and process until well blended.
- Transfer to prepared skillet or dish.
- Bake about 30 minutes until golden on top and tester comes out clean when inserted into center.
- Cool in skillet or dish on wire rack.
- Serve with a nice bowl of soup and a green salad.