Classic Buttermilk Cornbread
photo by Outta Here
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter bottom and sides of a 10 inch cast iron skillet or 9x9 inch baking pan.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a food processor.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Beat buttermilk, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and process until just blended.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until golden on top and tester comes out clean when inserted into center.
- Cool in pan on rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I thought I would take a walk on the Wild Side and see how those Yankees were fixin' their cornbread ;) Well, I have to tell you, I was very pleasantly surprised!! Delicious texture with just the right amount of sweetness! The only substitution I made was using salted butter instead of unsalted. Otherwise, followed your directions to the letter. It was so easy preparing this in the food processor! I will definitely make this recipe again!
This cornbread was really good! I made it according to the directions except I don't have a food processor, so I just did it the old fashioned way. It still turned out wonderfully, really moist and very fluffy. I think next time I'll leave out the vanilla - although my kids really liked that flavor. I also decreased the sugar by a tablespoon and nobody noticed. I made it in a 8x8 pan. This is a great recipe for a good sweet, fluffy, soft cornbread.