Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are so many mashed potato recipes but I couldn't find this one. It is from the Overwaitea "Appeal" magazine. I haven't tried it but thought it sounded very good. You may make this dish up to 2 hours ahead of time, cover the dish, keep at room temp until baking.Just add the milk & Buttermilk slowly you may not want to use all of it. don't have the potatoes too thin.
- 3 lbs russet potatoes or 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cooked & mashed smooth
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 1 1⁄4 cups 1% fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, minced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly oil a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Beat in the milk, butter, buttermilk& pepper into the smoothly mashed potatoes.(add slowly so you do not get the potatoes too thin you may not use all of it).
- Scrape the potatoes into th baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the asiago cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25- 30 minutes or until heated through& the cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve.
These potatoes sounded delicious so I decided I WAS going to make them as part of one of our meals this week. While they were good, they weren't as amazing as I thought they would be. If I made them again I would season them more. I used all of the butter, but didn't need all of the milk. They would have been too thin if I had added all that the recipe called for. Definitely pay attention to the directions and add a little of the liquid at a time until the potatoes are the consistency you prefer.
I loved the taste of this. My DH says he wants points instead of stars because it's better than 4 stars but not quite 5. Did I mention that he is a computer analyst and a biologist??