Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
An easy peasy tasty cake recipe - something to throw together when a taste for a tender tasty cake hits. From the Miami Herald.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup nuts, chopped or 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons cream
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- Sift cake flour with cream of tartar and baking soda. Beat into batter alternately with buttermilk in several additions. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake about 50 minutes, until cake tests done.
- Stir together topping ingredients. Remove finished cake from oven, spread with topping and place under broiler, 3 inches from heat, until bubbly and caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes.