Raspberry Almond Buttermilk Cake
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla & almond extract and the zest. Add egg and beat well.
- At low speed, mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined. Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and sliced almonds.
- Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate. Or if your like me cool it just long enough to take your pictures and serve it straight from the pan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made my cake like sheepdog did...I used blueberries because that's what I had on hand...also due to no buttermilk...I made my own...btw...did I mention I cut the recipe in half and used my small pie plate...it worked perfectly...cooked it for 20 mins and I have to say it was delicious...I took a small bite for reviewing purposes...not sure if WW would approve of it...but I counted the guesstimated pts...made this based on Chef Potpie's recommendation for the best of 2019 tag game...I highly suggest you make this tasty cake...