Great for breakfast. The syrup has a nice fruity flavor that is very fresh and not too sweet.
Make and share this Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes With Summer Fruit Syrup recipe from Food.com.
For the Syrup
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup frozen pitted tart red pie cherries, thawed
- 1 cup chopped strawberry (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup raspberries (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the pancakes
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- butter (optional)
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- To make syrup: combine rhubarb, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, sugar, honey, corn syrup, water and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir mixture over medium-low heat, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens and becomes syrupy.
- Watch that it doesn't boil over, because it will tend to foam.
- Do not overcook, as mixture thickens upon standing.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add water in small amounts after cooling syrup, stirring until smooth, and desired consistency is reached.
- To make pancakes: mix together buckwheat flour, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add milk, buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and honey.
- Stir until blended but do not overmix (you should still be able to see some lumps).
- Pour batter 1/4 cup at a time onto hot oiled griddle, 2-3 at a time, allowing room to spread.
- Carefully turn pancakes with spatula when batter starts to bubble and becomes slightly porous.
- Cook briefly on the other side until pancakes become golden.
- Keep finished pancakes warm on a baking sheet in a low-temp oven.
- Serve pancakes spread with butter and syrup, and garnished with whipped cream (if desired).
Yum! 'nuf said!