1/1 Photo of Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes With Summer Fruit Syrup
Sue Lau's Note:
Great for breakfast. The syrup has a nice fruity flavor that is very fresh and not too sweet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Syrup
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup frozen pitted tart red pie cherries, thawed
- 1 cup chopped strawberry (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup raspberries (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the pancakes
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- butter (optional)
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1To make syrup: combine rhubarb, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, sugar, honey, corn syrup, water and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan.
- 2Stir mixture over medium-low heat, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
- 3Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens and becomes syrupy.
- 4Watch that it doesn't boil over, because it will tend to foam.
- 5Do not overcook, as mixture thickens upon standing.
- 6If mixture becomes too thick, add water in small amounts after cooling syrup, stirring until smooth, and desired consistency is reached.
- 7To make pancakes: mix together buckwheat flour, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- 8Make a well in the center and add milk, buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and honey.
- 9Stir until blended but do not overmix (you should still be able to see some lumps).
- 10Pour batter 1/4 cup at a time onto hot oiled griddle, 2-3 at a time, allowing room to spread.
- 11Carefully turn pancakes with spatula when batter starts to bubble and becomes slightly porous.
- 12Cook briefly on the other side until pancakes become golden.
- 13Keep finished pancakes warm on a baking sheet in a low-temp oven.
- 14Serve pancakes spread with butter and syrup, and garnished with whipped cream (if desired).
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes With Summer Fruit Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (2089 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.1
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 57.8 mg
- Sodium 291.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 48.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g