Recipe by Chelsea^_^
Turn your simple cupcakes into delicious treats. : ) I got bored with making plain cupcakes, so I decided to put my custard powder to good use, with a delicious filling for the cupcakes!
Top Review by mum@home
Wow! These cupcakes were out of this world. The flavor was terrific. They were light, fluffy with a slight crisp sugary top. My only difficulty was making the icing. I couldn't make fluffy icing for the life of me. I used Bird's custard powder, and I hope this is what I was supposed to use. I had to add some milk because it was too stiff. Maybe my butter wasn't soft enough. Regardless, they were delicious and will become a staple for my cupcake loving boys.
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup standard plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Fold into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in milk.
- Place 18 cupcake cases in a cupcake tin. Spoon mixture evenly into paper cases.
- Bake at 190°C (375°F) for 15 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Transfer to wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- While cooling, mix all icing ingredients together (butter, icing sugar, custard powder) and beat together until creamy.
- Cut a slice from the top of each cup cake. Cut this in half.
- Place a teaspoonful of the icing in each cavity.
- Arrange wings on cake.