Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Turn your simple cupcakes into delicious treats. : ) I got bored with making plain cupcakes, so I decided to put my custard powder to good use, with a delicious filling for the cupcakes!
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup standard plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- Cream butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Fold into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in milk.
- Place 18 cupcake cases in a cupcake tin. Spoon mixture evenly into paper cases.
- Bake at 190°C (375°F) for 15 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Transfer to wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- While cooling, mix all icing ingredients together (butter, icing sugar, custard powder) and beat together until creamy.
- Cut a slice from the top of each cup cake. Cut this in half.
- Place a teaspoonful of the icing in each cavity.
- Arrange wings on cake.
Wow! These cupcakes were out of this world. The flavor was terrific. They were light, fluffy with a slight crisp sugary top. My only difficulty was making the icing. I couldn't make fluffy icing for the life of me. I used Bird's custard powder, and I hope this is what I was supposed to use. I had to add some milk because it was too stiff. Maybe my butter wasn't soft enough. Regardless, they were delicious and will become a staple for my cupcake loving boys.
The cupcakes tasted sensational....it truly reminded me of mum's butter cakes from when i was young. I managed to get 18 out of the batch but that meant that i couldn't make the butterfly wings because it wasn't big enough. Nevertheless, the cakes were still great. I also found that the qty for icing ingredients was insufficient to ice them all. I ended up making an extra batch. Love the custard flavouring. This is the first batch of cupcakes i've ever made from scratch. No more baking mixes from the supermarket...yay!
These were so easy to make. They came together REALLY well. I only got 12 out of my batch though. And they weren't really big enough to make butterflies out of. Next time, I will try making 8 ot 10 instead. That aside, the flavour is divine! Not too sweet, just like I like them. They are also airy and moist. Wonderful texture! I did have a bit of a problem when I went to make the icing. I had no butter! So I ended up using vegetable shortening, milk and vanilla instead of butter. I still used the icing sugar and the custard powder. I love these so much. I am putting this recipe into my "permanent" book!