Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
for yule log recipe
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (plus 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 2 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 4 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- Bring sugar and water to boil in heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Continue boiling without stirring until thermometer registers 240F (soft ball stage). Beat yolks until thickened.
- Add liqueur; gradually beat in hot syrup.
- Continue beating until cool, about 5 minutes.
- Add butter 3 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix in orange juice concentrate. Transfer 3 1/4 cups buttercream to a small bowl; mix chocolate into remaining.
- Invert cake onto sheet of plastic wrap. Carefully remove paper.
- Spread orange buttercream over cake, leaving 1 inch boarder on one long side. Sprinkle with macadamias.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion, starting with long side and rolling toward side with uncovered border. Trim to make ends even.
- Cut 2 inches off each end of roll at 45 degree angle. Transfer roll to platter using plastic as aid and arranging seam side down.
- Spread some chocolate buttercream on cut ends of 2 inch pieces.
- With buttercream touching cake, place one piece atop cake off-center and the second on one long side to resemble tree stumps.
- Transfer 1 cup chocolate buttercream to pastry bag fitted with 1/4 inch plain tip.
- Spread remaining buttercream over cake. Pipe buttercream in spirals over ends of buche and stumps, starting at center of each.
- Run fork tines through buttercream to simulate bark.
- Arrange holly and cranberries decoratively on buche. Garnish with Meringue Mushrooms right before serving.