Recipe by Brian Holley
This is for those of you who have enjoyed my Balti recipes. Butter chicken (Makkhani Murghi) is very popular everywhere. Quick and easy to cook, this will soon become one of your favourite curry dishes.
Top Review by Marysdottir
Very good for a quick recipe. The sauce is a little runny but maybe I should have cooked it without a lid at all. I wasn't sure if it should have a lid so I compromised and put one on, but left it crooked so some liquid could evaporate. I added some more almonds and it seemed to be almost thick enough. I also wondered if there could be enough spices for that quantity of chicken but that was not a problem. lovely quick dinner. Thanks.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and cubed
- 1⁄4 pint plain yogurt
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 5 green cardamom pods, split open
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 14 ounces tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 tablespoons fresh single cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together in a large bowl the yogurt with the almonds, chilli, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, garam masala, cardamoms, ginger, garlic and the tomatoes.
- Add the chicken and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a wok melt the butter with the oil and fry the onion for 2 minutes
- Add the chicken and the marinade and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and stir well to blend.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.