Recipe by Deantini
This recipe is from Loblaws; they make it at the deli and it was featured in Toronto Star. Makes 4 large, or 8 small servings. You will need at least 1 hour for letting chicken marinate, included in prep time
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Deantini, this was excellent, we are a huge fan of curry and particularly enjoy butter chicken, it always feels like a special treat. This is a really good recipe, not too spicy, and if you make enough to have leftovers, even better the next day!!!! Thank you for a lovely recipe, made for PMMR tag game
- 675 g boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 4 teaspoons tandoori masala, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashews, unsalted
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- In a bowl combine chicken, olive oil, 3 tsp garam masala and 3 tsp tandoori masala. Refrigereate, covered, for at least 1 hour to let flavours develop. Can also sit overnight.
- in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat, add onion and cook until soft. Add remaining 1 tsp garam masala and 1 tsp tandoori masala. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, cook, stirring for about three minutes. Add tomatoes incl juices.
- Reduce heat to low and, cover and simmer for 30 minute Stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine cashews and water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minute
- Drain half the water and blend remaining water with cashews until oureed.
- Add pureed cashews to chicken and let simmer for 5 minute Stir in cream and cilantro.
- Serve with basmati rice.