Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Excellent recipe stolen and modified from "Death by Curry" web site.
- 1 kg chicken, cubed
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 200 ml plain low-fat yogurt
- 50 g ground almonds
- 6 teaspoons ghee (strained butter)
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in two
- 6 cloves
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Put the yogurt, almonds, dry spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt into a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly.
- Put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and pour the yogurt mixture over it.
- Set aside.
- Melt together the ghee and oil in a medium-sized wok or deep round-bottomed skillet.
- Add the onions and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in about half the cilantro and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Serve garnished with remaining cilantro.
This recipe turns out WAY better if you do it in a slow cooker - you don't lose all the moisture.
Fairly easy to make, and the instructions were simple enough to follow. Although, the dish itself did taste good, it wasn't "all that" in my hubbie's and my opinion. I think the diced onions should hv be thinly sliced, and cooked longer, to make them sorta mix in w/the curry. Maybe I'll try it again, and second time round w/a few alterations, rate it higher also. :)