Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a nice filling healthy soup, you can use any dried beans you like but butter beans are our favourite. If you don't want to use stock cubes you can just use water I have made it with water and it's ok not quite as flavoursome but still tasty.
- 225 g dried butter beans (Lima beans)
- 1 medium leek
- 1 medium carrot
- 25 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 900 ml water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract (optional)
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- Pick over beans wash and soak overnight.
- Chop onion and dice the carrot.
- Melt the butter and oil together and saute the onion until transparent.
- Drain the beans and add to the pot with the measured water and all the remaining ingredients except the parsley.
- simmer for about an hour until beans are soft and adjust the seasoning.
- sprinkle with parsley and enjoy.