Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Because food prices are going through the roof I decided to post. Use day old or older bread. Use the crusts also. This is a German recipe from my relatives.You don't have to use cream, evaporated milk, half and half will do. I use "I Can't Believe it is Butter" spread instead of butter or margarine. It is my posted recipe and it works well. The idea is taste, not cost. Cook the last five minutes in chicken noodle soup or vegetable soup. Note: You can use Egg Beaters instead of the eggs. Add a dash of cornstarch to the Eggbeaters.
- Toast the bread slices in a 400°F oven until brown on one side.
- Flip over and toast on the other side. Cool.
- Take very dry bread slices and pulse in a blender or food processor until very fine crumbs.
- Place in a large bowl and mix margarine. and cream and eggs, salt and allspice all at once. Mix well. Shape in 1 inch balls.
- Take a large slotted spoon and lower 3 or 4 balls into the boiling or simmering liquid at a time. Cook 5 to 7 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Note: If you have extra large loafs of bread ie. sandwich slices loafs of bread you my have to add some warm milk to form the balls.
- Do not be shy in squeezing to form the balls.
- Extras to add if desired: A little dried parsley flakes, a very small square of cheese in the center.
- Note: You can prepare ahead and freeze for use later. Do not keep over a month.