Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is hearty and satisfying with the added bonus of being ready in 45 minutes. Leftovers are even better the next day.
- 6 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can okra and tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice (not instant)
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all in soup-pot( I use a cast iron dutch oven)and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer,covered, for 45 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Very good served with cornbread and a dollop of pepper jelly.