Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Nirmala Narine, a sweet and spicy snack.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups unsalted almonds or 2 cups unsalted cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded, toasted
- coarse sea salt
- Heat a large frying pan to medium and add the oil.
- Stir in the honey and cayenne, cumin and curry powder.
- Once the oil and honey are combined, add the nuts and stir until all the nuts are evenly coated.
- Add the toasted coconut and gently stir until the nuts are evenly coated with coconut.
- Season with coarse sea salt to taste. Immediately transfer nuts to a large non-stick baking sheet and spread them out to cool.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.
A quick irresistible munchie. I would use a little less cayenne and more of the other spices next time. This is definitely a recipe where it's best to have all the ingredients measured before you start. Once the honey goes into the oil, it all moves pretty quickly. Awfully high in saturated fat from the nuts and coconut, but worth an occaisional treat. I think this could make a nice sprinkle for ice cream.
Yummy. Specifically I used extra virgin olive oil as we are peanut free, cream honey, less cayenne, Julie's Curry Powder Mix which is not a hot but a sweet curry powder, almonds and the regular sea salt, as that is what I had on hand. Made for ZWT6 Asian region, for my team The Ya Ya Cookerhood.
Really yummy, it's sweet, spicy & crunchy and all combines for a really lovely appetizer or nibbles with drinks. Made for ZWT 4