Recipe by Chef Luis Aguilar
This recipe is exquisite, just released and already I've had requests for its' presentation on a plate...Just a hint of fire with all the nutty sweetness of sauteed bananas. You may add more chiles for more heat when making the chile jelly. I always make the Chile jelly the day before so the flavors fuse together.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
This was excellent. I was pressed for time when I made it, so I substituted pepper jelly bought in the store for the chile jelly I should have made. Still, it was terrific. My husband rolled his eyes everytime he put a bite in his mouth. Thanks so much for sharing.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared chile jelly (see recipe)
- 3 tablespoons Meyer's dark rum
- 4 scoops prepared, excellent quality, store bought or homemade vanilla ice cream
- 2 ancho chilies, stems & seeds discarded
- 2 chipotle chiles, stems & seeds discarded
- 6 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons spanish sherry wine vinegar
- 4 ounces best quality bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the bananas and cut them into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Heat a skillet to moderately hot.
- Place the bananas in the skillet with the butter and brown sugar.
- When the butter is melted, add the chile jelly.
- Toss the bananas to coat them.
- Add the rum to the pan and carefully de-glaze.
- Place a scoop of ice cream onto the center of each of 4 shallow bowls.
- Arrange the bananas around the ice cream.
- Drizzle with warm chocolate sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- -----------Chile Jelly---------.
- Toast the chile skins in a dry skillet until you can smell their earthy heat.
- Put them in a saucepan with 1 quart of water and simmer at medium heat until the water is almost completely evaporated.
- Add the currant jelly, honey and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Now remove from the heat and process thoroughly in a food processor.
- Remove to a clean bowl and cool.
- -------------Chocolate Sauce------------.
- Cut up the chocolate into small pieces and melt in a bowl with the water over a pot of simmering water (double boiler).
- Take small bowl off the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Keep warm.