Recipe by Punahouteach
This is a modified (healthier) version of a risotto recipe I found in Bon Apetit Magazine. My boyfriend says it tastes like something from a nice restaurant down the street. I'm posting it here for safe keeping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup baby portabella mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces, freshly grated if possible)
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in bulgur and 1/2 cup broth and cook until absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth and a 1/2 cup wine, simmering after each addition and stirring often until liquid is absorbed.
- Mix in asparagus and mushrooms. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time until bulgur is just tender and mixture is creamy, simmering after each addition and stirring often until broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in most of the Parmesan, milk and tarragon.
- sprinkle individual servings with remaining parmesean.