Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from the" Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook". I enjoy this toast spread very much. It is loaded with fiber
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2⁄3 tablespoon water (if you like spicy use spicy tomato or V8) or 2⁄3 tablespoon tomato juice (if you like spicy use spicy tomato or V8)
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons water (if you like spicy use spicy tomato or V8) or 1 1⁄3 tablespoons tomato juice (if you like spicy use spicy tomato or V8)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 loaf whole wheat bread
- Toast the bulgur in a dry saucepan until it darkens.
- Add 2/3 cup juice or water and bring to a boil, remove from heat cover and let sit until the liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- In a food processor combine the remaining 1 1/3 tbsp liquid, herbs, olives,caper and ginger Process to a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Drain off any excess liquid from the bulgur and stir the bulgur into the olive mixture.
- Mix in the lemon juice and oil.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut 12 slices of bread 1/2" thick on the diagonal.
- Bake on baking sheet until lightly browned on both sides.
- Spread the bulgur mixture on the toast.
- Serve at once.
- The spread will keep in the fridge for a day or two.