Recipe by KLHquilts
I haven't made this yet ... it has been on my "recipes to try" list for over a year. I'm posting it for ZWT3 -- maybe I'll finally make it!
Top Review by Sakeenah
This is great, my first time really cooking with pumpkin. I subbed quinoa for bulgur and let it cook dry for a few extra minutes before adding the water (I didn't have stock). I added just a little maple syrup because it just seemed to be asking for it. Would make this again, thanks!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups pumpkin (peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces ( or use canned pumpkin)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (about 2.5-inch long)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder (see note)
- 1 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: For a really delicious flavor, use recipe #38702 for curry powder.
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, pumpkin, and spices. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender (about 5 minutes). If mixture starts to stick at all, add water as necessary.
- Add bulgur and stir to mix. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, salt, and pepper. When mixture boils, cover saucepan, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. (Don't let it stick).
- Fluff with fork before serving.