Recipe by Chef Shadows
There are advantages to eating buffalo meat because it is lower in calories, lower in fat, has a wonderful flavor and is very tender. It's important to roast buffalo at a lower temperature than you would roast beef to keep it from getting tough. You may be able to special order buffalo steaks and roasts at your local supermarket but if not, it is easy to buy on-line.
Top Review by Dr Nick
I did a lazy version of this recipe. No vegetables or pre-roasted garlic, just the stock, some sliced fresh garlic and 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (I can't find whole ones) under the roasting rack. The reduction it produced was just devine. My bison roast (2lbs) was frozen solid when it went in (can you tell I was in a rush?) so I cooked it for 3 hours and it came out beautifully medium rare. I will definitely use this one again, probably for beef too. Thank you.
- 3 lbs buffalo roast
- 3 dried chipotle peppers
- 4 roasted garlic cloves
- 1 lb onion, cut into quarters
- 1 lb carrot, cut into quarters
- 1 lb celery, cut into quarters
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef stock, diluted with
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- PREP WORK:.
- Preheat the oven to 250 F and roast the garlic.
- Cut the onions, carrots, and celery into quarters.
- Dilute the stock with water.
- HOW TO MAKE AT HOME:.
- Place all the vegetables except for the chipotles and garlic in a large roasting pan that has been coated with a little oil.
- Pam is fine.
- Put the buffalo roast on top of the vegetables.
- Add the diluted beef stock and roast the buffalo at 250 F for 2 1/2 hours or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 125°F
- Remove the pan from the oven and the roast from the pan and let it sit while you work on the sauce.
- Remember, the roast will continue to cook while it is resting.
- Strain the juices and liquids from the pan into a sauce pan and transfer the roasted vegetables to a bowl or plate.
- Add the roasted garlic, peppers and red wine to the sauce pan.
- Over medium-high heat, reduce the liquids by about 1/3 and strain it to remove the garlic and peppers.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust with salt and pepper.
- Slice the buffalo roast and serve with the roasted vegetables and au jus sauce.