Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Buffalo chicken meets mac-n-cheese. How can you possibly go wrong? I threw this together for the end-of-the-year potluck lunch at the high school where I teach, and it went over really well. Addendum: Like the first two reviewers, I also used Ken's. Worked great! However, I have to disagree with one reviewer about the celery. I've made this with and without the celery, and its inclusion really makes a world of difference in terms of texture.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, uncooked (preferrably the large variety)
- 24 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces buffalo wing sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling salted water.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk the milk and flour together in a bowl, then pour into a saucepan, bringing it to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in chicken, cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, buffalo sauce and hot sauce (if you're using it). Cook until the cheese melts.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and stir in the cheese mixture and the celery.
Very good! I used whole wheat rotini, 2 large chicken breasts, and cut down on the wing sauce a little, and used and 8oz block of sharp cheddar cheese. I also left out the celery do to personal taste. The sauce came together very quickly, I'm used to making a roux for my mac and cheese and this was much easier. I baked this for about 20 mins at 350 just to help the pasta soak up the flavor longer. I used Ken's brand buffalo wing sauce and it was very good, not too spicy.
Yum yum yum! I too used Ken's Wing Sauce. Truthfully, IDK what other wing sauces are out there besides Ken's, so it's hard to say if brand matters. I hate celery, so I used chopped bell peppers to give it that crunch. If you don't have cooked chicken breast, you could prob use canned chicken in a pinch. Works for dip, why not this? Next time I would prob serve with blue cheese on top.
Yum! The whole family enjoyed this and it couldn't be easier. Quick to make on the stovetop. I used Frank's buffalo wing sauce and it was perfect, a little spicy but still enjoyed by the kids. Also used a 17.6 oz package of gemelli (longish pasta twirls) and about 3 cups of chopped smoked chicken from my freezer. Will make again! Thanks for sharing the recipe!