This cake is handy for those on a budget as it can be made using ingredients commonly found in every pantry. It is also good for vegans or those with allergies, as it contains no egg, and if made without the frosting, no dairy. It's moist, tasty, and very easy to make and clean up after. NB measurements are Australian cups and spoons.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil (not olive or other strong flavoured oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup icing sugar (optional)
- 1Heat oven to 180 C (350F).
- 2Grease and flour a 20cm round tin.
- 3Place all cake ingredients (except icing sugar) into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- 4Pour into prepared tin and bake 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
- 5When cool, either dust with optional icing sugar (vegan and dairy-free option), or top with icing.
- 6To make icing, combine sugar, cocoa and butter, then add small quantities of the hot water (I suggest a teaspoon at a time, up to a total of 2 tablespoons), stirring vigerously, until icing consistency is as you like it.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Budget Pantry Fudge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.1
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 381.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 39.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g