Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This cake is handy for those on a budget as it can be made using ingredients commonly found in every pantry. It is also good for vegans or those with allergies, as it contains no egg, and if made without the frosting, no dairy. It's moist, tasty, and very easy to make and clean up after. NB measurements are Australian cups and spoons.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil (not olive or other strong flavoured oil)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar (optional)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot water (do not be tempted to use extra!)
- Heat oven to 180 C (350F).
- Grease and flour a 20cm round tin.
- Place all cake ingredients (except icing sugar) into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
- When cool, either dust with optional icing sugar (vegan and dairy-free option), or top with icing.
- To make icing, combine sugar, cocoa and butter, then add small quantities of the hot water (I suggest a teaspoon at a time, up to a total of 2 tablespoons), stirring vigerously, until icing consistency is as you like it.