Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful fall dessert or breakfast. For dessert these are delicious topped with vanilla ice cream and for breakfast topped with whipped cream. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1984)
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup white flour
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- vegetable oil, for cooking
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 apples, peeled,cored and cut into slices 1/2 inch thick (yellow delicious work well)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons rum or 3 tablespoons apple juice
- Using a food processor or a blender, process the first 8 ingredients (milk-vanilla) together for one minute or until smooth.
- Heat a 7-inch crepe pan over medium-high heat, brushed lightly with oil.
- Spoon 1/4 of the batter into the corner of the pan, tillting pan until it coats bottom of pan.
- Cook crepe until bottom is firm and brown, loosening corner with a knife.
- Turn crepe and cook other side.
- Slide cooked crepe onto plate while cooking remaining crepes, stirring batter and brushing with additional oil as necessary.
- To make filling: melt butter in skillet and add apples, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Add rum (or juice) and cook until liquid is absorbed (8-10 minutes).
- Spoon 1/4 of the filling into crepe, roll and sprinkle with powdered sugar and ice cream (or whipped cream) to serve.
SO VERY YUMMY, and easy to make. DH loved them, scarfed them up as soon as I could make them. Made them just like the recipe said, using golden delicious apples, used RUM in the batter and in cooking of the apples. I will definitely be making these again & again. Thank you Ellie for another delicious recipe.