1/1 Photo of Bryan's Chocolate Lamb Chili
Bev in NY's Note:
We love Chili, we love Chocolate, we love Icelandic Lamb! My son, Bryan, came up with this recipe and we all love it! If you can get ground Icelandic lamb, use that, if not, any old ground lamb'll do. Go for it - try it yourself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar or 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups canned red beans, with liquid
- sour cream, for garnish
- grated cheese, for garnish
- chopped onion (to garnish)
- 1In a large pot, cook onions and ground lamb in olive oil over medium heat.
- 2When onions are soft and meat browned, season with red pepper flakes, basil, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, chili powder, dried oregano, cocoa powder, sugar, and bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Saute for 1 or 2 minutes to allow flavors to blend and blossom.
- 4Stir in tomatoes and beans.
- 5Increase heat to bring soup to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 7Load into large bowls (or small, depending on appetite) and garnish with your choice of toppings.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bryan's Chocolate Lamb Chili
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.4
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 55.3 mg
- Sodium 821.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 23.0 g