Recipe by charlie #5
These are a must-have side on our Thanksgiving table. When choosing fresh brussels, choose small ones, they are more tender. You can toss in some pretty lemon slices to garnish. Some toasted nuts might be nice too. My husbands family likes to sprinkle brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar at the table. I prefer them without. Unsure yields/times.
Top Review by sugarpea
Amazingly good Brussels sprouts. The red bell pepper and carmelized onion added a nice sweetnes to the sprouts. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to steam and then brown the sprouts without overcooking them but I needn't have worried. They were outstanding just as written. Oh, and that sprinkle of lemon juice just before serving was just the right sparkle to make this dish soooo special.
- 2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, sliced thin
- 1 onions or 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel off the outer leaves of the brussels sprouts. Slice off about 1/8" from the stem of the brussels sprouts. Score an "x" in the bottom of the stem end. Steam until tender.
- Saute pepper, onion, and garlic in butter until tender and beginning to brown. Add brussels and brown further. Add lemon and stir around.